Sunday, May 5, 2013

Children's Play Mat

I have been away for awhile and not blogging.  The good news is I have still been sewing!  I recently made a play mat for a little girl around the same age as my son.  It is a farm motif because her Daddy has cattle and a farm.  I think it came out great and I can't wait to make another one.  I used felt on the front, I used batting for stiffness and the back was a repurposed tablecloth.  I sewed green and blue for grass and sky and sewed them together with the backing and then flipped them right side out and top stitched.  Then I used plain white ribbon to make a fence and that was very easy to make into a curve.  




Next I wanted to add a tree made from felt, a water or food bucket made from felt pieces and stitched on with zig zag across the bucket.  And flowers to make it girly!  I made some of the flowers out of felt and some out of ribbon which I sewed together with felt in the center.  I used some pretty ribbon and sparkly yarn for stems.  




A butterfly of course with its wings unattached so they could flap!  And a sun made from felt and ribbons.  I hot glued the ribbons down and then top stiched across them over the sun.  




And the final project with a few puffy clouds and the finished flowers.  I also gave them little play horses.  Hopefully she loves it as much as I do!


'


You truly could make this any way you wish.  I plan on making a car racing one for my son.  Also the size was fairly large it is about the size of my cutting mat so around 24 inches by 20 inches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment